Follow @bretondaphne

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Happy 70th Birthday Dad!!

Happy 70th Birthday!
70 Memories/Quirks Unique to My Dad!

1.        Doing “gymnastics” early on a Saturday morning
2.       You gave us the love of travel
3.       You picked an awesome area to raise us, yeah 10 Larsen Court!
4.      Our Nova Scotia trip
5.       Getting me to try diving lessons
6.      When I job shadowed you in Gr 8 and we travelled to Cornwall in a snow storm
7.       Our trips to Dominican Republic
8.      Seeing you horseback ride in the Dominican Republic. The one and only time I have ever seen you ride a horse.
9.      Your slide shows
10.    Our dinners out when you visited me in St Catherine’s, 5 cent wings yummmmmm!
11.     Our unique names Robyn Noelle Aimee
12.    Inheriting the “early bird” DNA
13.    Family trips to Florida
14.    Hours spent entering data into the Commador 64 in order to get new games
15.    Mustangs – we both owned one
16.    Your words of encouragement when I opened the school
17.    Letting Jeff live with us
18.    Scaring our guests at our Halloween party by going to the basement window and shining the flashlight under your chin yikes!
19.    All the souvenirs you brought back from your travels
20.   Your special pancake recipe
21.    Playing cards at the cottage
22.   Your beer label collection
23.   Watching Law & Order with you
24.   Hanging out at the hospital waiting to get by arm x-rayed after I broke it
25.   How you grab both sides of our face when you give us a kiss
26.   Your warning emails about viruses or just new info to be aware of
27.   Fishing with your Grandkids
28.   Silly comments after you fell asleep on the floor, then woke up all dopey
29.   Steak and potatoes every Friday on the BBQ
30.   My love of “crackle” from the pork roasts
31.    Taking me to all my dental surgeries and then making sure I got home OK afterwards (16 teeth pulled) one time you bought me Amelia Badelia books
32.   Your coffee gravy
33.   Your BBQing in general
34.   Thankful for you watching our kids
35.   Thank you for never noticing my bad haircuts
36.   Helping me with my homework
37.   Watching and trying to play Jeopardy with you
38.   Spending the whole day and night at the hospital waiting for Breton to be born
39.   Fires in the fireplace on a Sunday afternoon
40.  Family cross country skiing adventures
41.    All our cottage vacations
42.   Your careful arrangement of all our stuff piled high on the roof of one of the many station wagons we had
43.   Waking up and seeing you after I had been hit by the car (and Mom was trying to feed me ice cream), then wheeling me up to my room while I rode in the bed
44.  Taking me to be tested after I got hit by the car
45.   You letting us put make up on you
46.  You taught us a love of Boney M, Tina Turner and Rod Stewart
47.   The Christmas tree falling after you just had taken our photo
48.  Proofreading all my essays/projects in high school
49.  Surprising me on my birthday by inviting Barb B.
50.   Teaching me to mow the lawn with the electric mower
51.    Helping me with my Gr6 science fair project on radio communications
52.   Thanx for doing my taxes all those years
53.   All your “inexpensive” fixes around the house
54.   You wearing mismatched socks to work
55.   Going to all those Expo and Blue Jay games
56.   You working hard to provide for us
57.   Taking us to all those shopping centers when we were on vacation
58.   Thanks for never putting me down, although you did say my 1st tattoo was stupid?!
59.   You helped me buy my first car
60.  Sorry for putting back the razor after I used it and then letting you use it – ouch!
61.     All our trips to Toronto
62.   Taking us to the race track
63.   Never taking us to McDonalds (thank you)
64.  Going to see ET at the theater
65.   Our trip to California
66.  Going to Capital City Speedway
67.   Planting the daffodils
68.  Letting us stay at your place in Florida even when you were not thereL
69.  Our trip to Boston and seeing the Jays play at Fenway
70.   A glass of orange juice and a glass of milk, a working man’s breakfast
Happy, happy, happy birthday Dad!! Thank you for all the memories!

2 comments:

Aimee Smith said...

I also have a few extras
1. For always making us number 1
2. Listening
3. Always making me feel that no mater what I will be okay
4. renting a limo for my 7th birthday
5. watching cheers and letting us serve drinks
6. my Gray hair lol
7. giving me the most conforting words after Mom died " I will always be ok as long as I remember all the things she taught me
8. Allowing us to be
9. Never Judging
10. Never yelling
11. pagers
12. Beinning you
13. Teaching us to apperciate peoples differences and struggles

I could go on and on but mostly for a wonderful childhood! And it was pretty cool when you scared us at the Halloween Party!

Noelle said...

And a few more...

1. Reading my first chapter book to me at bedtime in Grade 1- Winnie the Pooh and fostering a love of reading!
2. Gin - the card game not the drink
3. Our family's attempt at camping- that huge tent- so many poles
4. The many cottage rentals- ANT cereal!
5. You "Woo-Hooing" at my University graduation as I walked across the stage- man was Mel embarassed! I felt special!
6. Dog lover
7. Getting tickets for the circus from work for one of my birthday parties
8. My first concert with you and mom- Huey Lewis and the News! Rock ON!
9. Your GENEROSITY and COMPASSION for those who are not as fortunate as you- probably one of the greatest life lessons you have given us
10. Your loyalty and unwavering love and devotion to mom when she was sick- another great life lesson about finding a great husband- and I did!
11. TRAVEL BUG- I know Robyn said it already but I think it bit me the HARDEST!!!
12. My toybox- can you make one with Jason for Molly??
13. Work ethic....some might say work-a-holic but I think you found some balance!
14. The great Orange Jello throw up after I got my adenoids out... you were there for the clean up!
15. MOVING- all the university moves and our latest move to Stittsville- we couldn't have done it without you!
16. Your speech at our wedding- almost as good as mine )
17. The Yard Beer in San Diego- when in Rome...
18. Your comments when you see something that really turns you off- "The A-hole with the braids" in reference to guys who get their hair braided in the DR
19. My red bike with the strawberry banana seat- because I just had to have a banana seat
20. Canoeing to Kingston- ahhh...the things we put you through!
21. The way you always show you care and are there for us in your own "DAD" sorta way!

As Aimee said, I could go on and on but thank you for making me the person I am today- strong family values, a lover of learning, gernerous in spirit and a successful career woman and mom.

We love you very much!