Follow @bretondaphne

Monday, July 22, 2019

How religion turned me off of religion

For myself I do not feel a religion is necessary.

Let me explain:  I went to a Catholic school my entire school career (excluding university).  Why? because it was the one school that would pick us up by bus in our area.  I stayed during high school because I had my group of friends.

This experience taught me a lot.

Elementary school was the catalyst for turning me off religion. When you are told by your teacher (she was a peach wrote her a letter read it here) that you will never go to Heaven therefore in a child's mind, I would be going to HELL.  Sequestered for the big religious events (I understand as a non-Catholic I could not make First Communion or Confirmation but I just feel it should have been handled in a more positive way, rather than not saying anything.  Really felt looked down upon)and spoken to like you are dumb by your friend's mom because you might not understand the play Joesph and Technicolour Dream Coat -- uh hello I do go to a Catholic school and actually listen.

Yet I did get peer pressured to go to Confession in grade 4 for the first time with my classmates...and I lied in Confession?!?!?  Also in Grade 4 my teacher (more about him here) let me try the Eucharist out of the bag of them in his desk...it was ok they weren't blessed.  Not sure about the Eucharist my friend gave me...after she'd gone up at Mass??? For that perhaps I should not be going to Heaven.

High school was not so negative and self esteem crushing.  I had two amazing friends who attended Church every Sunday but were the least judgmental.  They were very open to discussing every aspect of the Catholic religion including its "faults".  They walked the walk yet embraced me as their forever friend (xoxxox) 

But

....in high school I had another experience with a different religion.  Not a positive one at all.  It was with one of my fellow non-Catholic friends.  She invited me to a weekend camp with her Pentacostal church.  Mass was very different than what I had already experienced through my schooling.  People talking in tongues, yelling out and in the end I really felt like I was brought there to be recruited.

As an adult, one of my children is baptised and the other is not.  I have met other religious friends and we are respectful of each other.  I pray, I try to treat others as I would like to be treated, there is Karma, and I feel closest to God when I am in nature.

Then I get this:
Stuck to the handle of my car in the winter time.  I thought it was a ticket at first for parking early in an area that started free parking at 5...I parked at 4:30
I Have not googled this yet?!?!



I just laughed.

No comments: