Follow @bretondaphne

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Weird but true

I have recently seen an Otrivin commercial for a new "sea water" nasal spray.  It reminded me of my 7 year addiction to Otrivin/Drixoral.  When I was pregnant with Breton, one of the drugs I was allowed to take was Otrivin.  There is an increase in congestion when pregnant so, the Otrivin solved this for me.  Well if you read the warning on the packaging it tells that if you use it for more than 3 days it will have the reverse effect.  Well I was congested for 7 years!  To get off of the nasal spray, I tried everything from an all natural hot pepper spray (that left me teary eyed and only very temporarily breathing free) to prescribed medication from an ear nose and throat DR (that left me flying so high on the first day - later learnt not to take all the meds at once), none worked:(  Even went to a 2nd ear nose and throat Dr to consider surgery?! Never went back to her.
What finally worked, completely by accident, was that one day I forgot my precious nasal spray and all I had was some Fisherman Friends throat lozenges.  If you have tried the original, you'll know that they clear your nasal passage just fine!  Well I continued to eat the lozenges and finally I did not need the spray, yeah!!

That was almost 3 years ago.  I have not done nasal spray EVER again! And no I am not now addicted to Fisherman Friends:)

Just thought I would share and celebrate my recovery from nasal spray addiction.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Proud of you Robyn.... no intervention necessary.