Follow @bretondaphne

Friday, August 22, 2014

Fake Food is Delicious!!

Below is my favourite new recipe. Fake or imposter ground beef but not mystery meat:)!!! Honestly, if I read the description of this on a menu I would probably not order it but making it myself and having tried it first at my sister's I was more then willing.
I have since made it for the kids and they questioned what it is because I am baking it in the oven and I admit I have lied and told them it is ground beef... special ground beef:) but they eat it up.  When we had it at my sister's, Daphne did wonder about the nuts in it so when I made it I really grounded them up.
I have even frozen it and used it later.  It really absorbs the sauce so you might want a bit extra on hand.
It is so delicious!


Meaty Veg-based Ground “Meat”

 

1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and washed, broken into florets

2 cups raw walnut halves

2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

2 cloves garlic minced

¼ tsp dried sage

1 tsp smoked paprika

½ - ¾ fine sea salt

2 tbsp bragg’s, soy sauce or tamari

 

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a large rimmed cookie sheet with parchment

In a food processor, blend the cauliflower and nuts to a fine meal. Depending on how grainy you like your “meat”.

Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add remaining ingredients. Use your hands to knead everything together, until the grounds are uniformly coated.

Turn the mixture into the pan and spread out evenly. Bake for 45 minutes to and hour, stirring every 15 minutes until the meat is dry and brown (if the layer underneath comes up looking wet and white then you need to keep baking). The grounds will begin to separate and intensify in colour as they roast.

Once the “meat” is cooked, you can cool, package and freeze it for later use or use it right away. Will keep up to 3 days cover in the refrigerator.

 
This is some I froze and reheated.

No comments: