Follow @bretondaphne

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Fact Of Life: Children Change You!

I really wanted to write about how I changed motherhood but soon realized that becoming a mom changed me.  For me as a mother the worse thing to see in my child is my bad habits.  For me, it was when my son spoke to his younger sister with my tone of voice.  My tone of voice when I am tired at the end of the day and I think I have no more patience in me.  To hear my impatient voice come out of my son made me cringe.  It became clear to me that I was an example to them.  An example of the correct thing to do, the moral thing to do, of making choices that aren’t always fun but must be made and making good choices even when we are tired .
I want my children to be healthy.   I am more active today then I have ever been in my life.  I eat healthier but show that treats are okay as long as that is not all you eat.  I am hoping to be the model of how to live with balance.  I push myself more in my physical activities.  I run the 5K to show my children that it can be done.  Without my kids I really do not know if I would even try. 
 I grew up and still am at times a true introvert, in having my children I became braver.   I always had a strain of daringness in me but never really pursued it.  I now do try those new activities that I always thought, “One day I would like to try that…”  I go zip lining, I hold the cockroaches, python, and tarantula when the reptile man comes and I volunteer to be the keeper for a soccer team I joined (never having played team sports before).  Again I set the example for my children.  I believe this to be so true that it is always in my thoughts affecting every choice I make, from the radio station we listen to in the morning to how I react to other drivers while I drive.
My actions are my example.  I take the time to show my children to take time for others.  When their school does a food drive, I go and buy extra cans, I fundraise for charities and if their teacher needs help, I try to do what I can.  I know I could do more but I am expecting my children to go beyond my efforts.  I also take time for myself.  I want my kids to know that it is okay to do good for yourself too.  Again, I hope I am setting an example of how they can balance helping others and taking care of themselves.
Sometimes it is overwhelming if I think of what a huge example I am for my children.  There are still times when I do not use the most appropriate language or still do lose my patience; I am no saint by far.   In those times that I fail or am not such a “good” example, I try really hard to either say I am sorry or admit to them my mistake.  In doing so, I trust they learn from my misjudgments.
My children are my responsibility, so I think twice about my choices.  We all know that this is what we are supposed to do but for me, motherhood holds me accountable and makes me ponder before I do.  For now I think I am doing a good job.  My children are complimented on how well behaved they are and they do well in school.  I am very proud of them.  I am doing my best to set a good example, in the hopes that my children will be able to do their best.

No comments: